I promised myself that I’d write a detailed analysis of what I learned after working on a large project, so here goes my first “Lessons Learned” blog post. Hopefully there will be many more to come. Enjoy!
Since the new year, I’ve been in charge of a web branding project for Haggery Consulting (HC). The branding team consisted of Shane Maloy and myself. I was in charge of all website development and brand design, while Shane worked on social media promotion. These “Lessons Learned” from working on HC’s project are here to serve as a reminder to myself on how to effectively work with teams and clients and to help others learn from my experiences.
I’ve broken this article into the following lessons. The first 4 lessons are programming related and the last 5 are business related.
- Always have a development workflow
- Always isolate gemsets
- Version your gems precisely
- Manage SSH keys carefully
- Written communication is key
- Reply to All doesn’t work if you don’t use it
- Always make time for the client
- Work with like-minded people